Alex joined Mace in 2014 and in a short space of time has worked on a number of key projects at Heathrow, including an £11m upgrade of essential life safety systems at Terminal 3. As an assistant planning manager, Alex's role involves developing and monitoring programme plans from design stage through to construction.
- How did you get into what you do?
- I started out with various roles in payroll and retail, before an opportunity came up at UK Power Networks as a project coordinator. I later joined the Heathrow division of UK Power Networks as an assistant planner and worked my way up to manage their planning requirements for the entire airport. I'd always been interested in construction work, so in 2014 I applied for a role with Mace and the rest is history.
- What do you enjoy most about your role at Mace?
- The diversity of my role - being involved in such a variety of projects keeps things interesting. And, working on site - it has a certain buzz to it. There's always a lot going on. It's fast paced and can be highly pressured but it keeps me on my toes.
- What’s your proudest achievement at Mace?
- Having my programme proposal for the Heathrow Life Safety Systems project accepted by the client. It involved the replacement of Terminal 3's existing fire alarm system panels, devices and equipment. My proposal received recognition for its quality in overcoming the challenge of working in a busy environment. I put a lot of work into it so I was delighted with the client's response.
“There’s always a lot going on. It’s fast paced and can be highly pressured but it keeps me on my toes.”
- What advice would you give to someone looking to get into what you do?
- Planners don’t need to have construction experience. The biggest requirement is to be motivated, enthusiastic and have a deep understanding of the project you are working on. What you really need are good communication skills to get under the skin of projects, to really know what they are about.
- What are you passionate about outside of work?
- I'm a really active person and love going to the gym. I've also got the travel bug and love holidaying in hot places.